Dear Diary: Book Talk

Sometimes I just need to get my thoughts out. This is one of those post that is more like a diary entry than a blog post. Please don't feel obligated to read it. I really am only sharing because I hope that it can help someone else the way Todd Burpo helped me through his sharing.

Several weeks ago a friend at school was talking about the book Heaven is for Real. Since then I have had several people mention it to me. I finally read it on the way to Little Rock. I am not going to ruin it for anyone that might be interested in reading it but bottom line- a little boy gets very sick and after his recovery begins telling his family that he visited heaven. He describes to his parents what he saw and what he experienced while he was there.

I will be honest, for the most part I thought the book was just ok. I know it isn't suppose to be about this, but I had a hard time staying interested because of the style of writing the author used. The message, however, is very interesting and very much got me thinking about what heaven must be like.

There was one chapter in the book that will be forever burned into my brain. If you or anyone you know has had a miscarriage you need to read this chapter. It was comforting on many levels. First, because it truly is nice to hear that someone else feels what you feel. I know we all experience our own struggles in life. It is always nice to not feel alone. I am going to take a direct quote out of the book because I can't possibly put it better than she did "You do all the right things, eat all the right things,and you pray for the baby's health, but still this tiny baby dies inside you." "I feel guilty. I know in my mind that it wasn't my fault, but there's still this guilt." ( Heaven is for Real by Todd Burpo).

When I read those words I felt like I was saying them. Her case was very similar to mine. She expressed a lot of the same feelings that I feel. The reason this chapter is in the book is that Colton, the little boy that visited heaven, ask his mom about his sister in heaven even though the miscarriage happened before Colton's birth and had never been mentioned to him. Again, I am not going to ruin it for anyone that wants to read it, but Colton meets his sister. She tells him that God adopted her when she was still in their mommy's belly.

Reading this meant so much to me. I have never doubted for one minute that my Taylor was in heaven. Some people may think I am crazy (and sometimes I am) but I truly felt like I handed my sweet baby over to my Grandma Minyard to take back to heaven with her. Reading that Colton's sister came running up to him and hugged him is truly amazing to me. I am so excited that one day this emptiness that I have never been able to shake will finally be filled. Don't get me wrong, I love my babies here on Earth and am not ready to leave them ;but I look forward to the day when Taylor comes running up to me and hugs me. I believe that heaven is for real and I am so thankful to get a small glimpse of what is waiting for me there.

Comments

Popular Posts