Day Five: I Could Not Ask for More

Warning: This may be the longest post ever...
Day 5:  June 16th
Oh my mercy! This was my favorite day of the whole trip. Every day was fabulous, but this day was amazingly perfect. Marshal and I wanted to rent a car and drive the island. We didn't really plan it this way, but we ended up deciding to do it on Thursday, our 10 year anniversary. It ended up being the perfect way to spend our anniversary together. The island of Exuma is only 37 miles long and has one main highway. We were pretty excited about exploring it on our own, but a little nervous because they drive on the left hand side of the road and their streets are really small. Marshal did great and only almost wrecked us once. Ha!

Before we headed out for the day we exchanged gifts. Every anniversary we always get the gift for that year. I usually stick with the traditional gift because you have to be creative. Marshal is back and forth between traditional and modern. I got him a bunch of tins full of different snacks(tin is the traditional gift for ten years). Marshal got me diamond earrings (diamond is the modern ten year gift).

After the gift exchange we headed out to meet our butler who had packed us an ice chest and gotten us a map of the island and off we went. We knew we wanted to see George Town, the only main town on the island, and go to the Tropic of Cancer beach.


When we got to the beach we were blown away by the beauty of the water. We were also shocked to discover that we were the only two people there. It was like our own little beach get away. A family stopped by for a few minutes just to get a quick picture and we asked them to take our picture, but other than that we were alone for hours. It was fabulous and don't tell Marshal that I said this, but I found it incredibly romantic.


I had to tear myself away, but Marshal and I were starving so we headed to Santana's. A little beach front hut and the best restaurant on the island. The food was so good! Oh my mercy was it good! Mama was a fabulous cook. She apparently sends Big Papa out to fish every morning and whatever he caught that day was what was on the menu. If I could, I would fly back there everyday just to eat that yumminess!


Mama
We headed down to the straw market to buy our babies some souvenirs. I was really surprised at how expensive everything was there.  The straw market was right across the street from the school and the city offices. Marshal really wanted to get a picture of the civil defense office so we head over to the city offices to ask where it was. Well this somehow lead us to meeting and getting invited into the  office of the Administrator of Exuma (he was like the Mayor of the island). He was very sweet and he and Marshal had great fun talking about hurricanes, but I was embarrassed that we looked like bums.  
The School

 
We made it back to the resort just in time for our afternoon nap. Then we headed down to the beach for our  dinner for two on the beach. I really wish our pictures turned out better, but it was so dark and all we had was one candle and the moon light. Very romantic, but not good for pictures. And yes I totally felt like I was on the Bachelor-minus the 24 other women. HA! Marshal even told me I was gorgeous, which is not a word he ever uses to describe me. To him the word gorgeous is big time and not something he uses very often.


After dinner we made a quick stop by the pub to say hi to Mel and meet her friends that had flown in for the weekend (much more on that tomorrow). Then we went back to our room to discover this....
Awww. If I had dreamed of the perfect way to spend my 10 year anniversary it wouldn't have compared to the perfectness of this day.

Comments

Popular Posts