I Better Not Catch You

I am sure nobody reading this blog needs this lecture, but you are going to get it any way. Any one that has known me for any length of time knows that I am big into random acts of kindness. I love them. They go right along with my tender little heart and they make me feel so good. The thing I love about them is they don't have to be big and they don't have to cost money, yet they speak volumes on goodness in the world. You never know how one little act is going to effect the people around you.

Ok on to my story. Today I had to go to Walmart to get a few things. When we pulled up in the parking lot I noticed an assisted living van.  I had a quick passing thought about how great that was that they brought people to Walmart. I was dreading my trip, but for those people it was probably a great outing that they all look forward to.

I did my shopping as quickly as possible because being in Walmart with Jaxton is not exactly what I consider a fun time. We get to the check out and this little lady probably in her late 70's early 80's was in front of us. By this point Jaxton had had it. He wasn't going to sit in the cart any longer and he was screaming at me because I wouldn't let him take all the candy bars off the shelf and throw them on the ground.  So I end up holding him on one hip while he kicks, arches his back, and screams as loudly as he can, while I unload my cart with the other hand. I get my cart unloaded and bless this woman's heart she is as slow as Christmas getting her fruit arranged in her sacks just so so. 

The cashier tells her her total and she goes to pay. Her total was $35. 64. The lady hands her $30 and begins to search through her pockets and her wallet for more money.  Her pockets are empty and she doesn't have anything else in her wallet. No credit cards, no pictures, nothing. She looks at the cashier and says "I am so sorry I guess I have to put some of my fruit back".  Without even thinking I quickly tell the cashier that I will pay the rest. The cashier rings her up  and I pay the remaining. It takes the lady a few minutes to figure out what is going on, but once she does she gets very emotional. She tells me that she can't pay me back because she doesn't have any one to get more money from and when she does get more money she doesn't know where to find me. I explain that I don't want her to pay me back that I was simply happy I could help.  She tells me that I have a family to take care of and she just has her and she feels terrible taking my money. She starts crying and hugs me and off she goes with her fruit.

I loved being able to help. I loved that Ashlynn was there to see me help. I also loved how Jaxton seemed to know that something was happening because as soon as I started talking to the lady he calmed down and just sat on my hip like a perfect little boy. I loved knowing that it was so simple and so easy to spread a little love.

Here is the part that I didn't love ( and the lecture comes in). I turned to the cashier, who had started ringing up my groceries, and she was crying. She told me that was the kindness thing she had seen in a long time. I was a little taken back by that. Ok a lot taken back by that. I didn't do anything special. I did what anyone in my position would have done, right? Well I guess not. She explained to me that she had been working at Walmart for a long time and that people don't have enough money for their groceries all the time. Sometimes it is older people; sometimes its moms with children, but most of the time they are within $20 of what they have and that never had she seen anyone help. I didn't really know what to say. I just replied with a "Well we all need  a little help sometime". She told me that was very much true and that she has needed help a lot in her life and was so thankful for people like me that opened my eyes long enough to see that.

I hope I never catch anyone not helping. I admit I don't do near as much as I could or as I should. Today my random act presented itself to me and I feel guilty that I didn't even have to work at showing kindness.   In my mind there was never even a thought of not helping. I may not need someone to help pay for my groceries today and I have been blessed thus far to never know what that feels like, but I assure you I am not without the need for love and help from others. My guess is that the same could be said for most of us.


and speaking of random.....I didn't get a chance to post my babies 4th of July picture yesterday so....

Comments

  1. I totally and completely heart you! Such a great lesson and post! I did the same thing just a few days ago and it really stays with you.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts