Old Timer

There are a lot of things that make me feel old. I didn't expect going to Disney World to be one of those things though. However, it happened almost as soon as we got there.

My dad had scheduled a golf game with one of his friends, that was also at Disney World for the week, for Sunday our first full day there. So we decide to take Ashlynn to The Magic Kingdom for the morning and just let her see it all and get a game plan for the week. The minute we walked in there was a line waiting to get Mickey and Minnie's autograph. As soon as we had done that there was Pluto so we got in line to see him.

I don't remember having to wait in line as a child to get characters autographs. Maybe I did and I just don't remember it, but the lines for autographs were often times worse than the lines for the rides. Any way each character has their " security" guard that stood their and made sure the line was moving and closed the line when that characters time was up. That was sometimes heart breaking because once they had a certain number of people in line they wouldn't let anyone else in. Children would walk away in tears because they didn't get there in time.

Any way back to Pluto. We get in line and finally get up to the front to meet him and his helper takes Ashlynn's autograph book and says wow "I have never seen one like this. Where did you get it?" I explain that it was my autograph book from when I was a child. She replies with "Well it must be really old because I have worked here 12 years."

Umm yes, yes it is. The yellow autograph book I got when I went to Disney World in 1986. The red one I got in 1992. I will be honest my mom was showing Ashlynn my autograph books as we started planning our trip to Disney;  I decided to let Ashlynn and Jaxton use them only because I didn't want to spend money on a new one when there was so many leftover pages in mine.


It quickly became special when almost everyone that signed them made comments about them. If it wasn't the actual character saying something it was the workers surrounding the characters. Many of them remembered those books and were so excited to see me using them. Cinderella even said "Wow mommy this must have been yours when you were little. I am so glad you came back to see me and brought your family this time."

I was shocked at how many people have made working at Disney a life long career. It was really special to be able to collect my kids autographs in the autograph books that were originally mine. Ashlynn claims when she takes her kids to Disney she is going to let them use them too. And I hope she does.


Pluto played with Jaxton forever. He got down on all fours and let Jaxton pull him like he was walking him. Pluto LOVED Jaxton's squeaky shoes!

Jaxton was so cute. He got the hang of the character meeting down very quickly.  He would run up and hand them his book and then turn around and pose.  (Please excuse my beautifulness, more on that soon).

Sound asleep, well atleast Jaxton was. HA!

Comments

Popular Posts