While the Husbands Away the Spider will Play

Let me start off by saying oh my mercy! I live in the city for a reason. I surround myself with neighbors not only because I enjoy the company, but I take great comfort in knowing that certain little critters that live in the wild don't live near me.

Since moving into this house (which I absolutely love) I have had a snake in my driveway, coyotes chilling across the street, big turtles crossing the street, pretty cute lizards swimming in my dogs water bowl, skunks chasing me and spraying at me while I run, and last night the biggest spider I have ever seen, not in a cage, hanging out in my garage.

Now I realize I don't exactly live in the middle of town, but I do live in a subdivision with several homes and lots of children that are constantly outside making enough noise that I would think any critter would think twice about hanging around. This is Marshal and my third house to buy, but I can honestly say the thought of moving into the wild never crossed my mind. Ha-ok maybe it isn't that bad and I can promise you I love my neighborhood so much that dealing with the occasional wild thing is worth it, maybe.Yikes!

Back to the spider.... I am sure you can tell by now, I am a girly girl.  I firmly believe that part of Marshal's job is to be my knight in shinning armor and rescue me from anything I deem to be dangerous. Last night Marshal wasn't home. I pulled in to my garage, get out, get the kids unloaded and then head back out to the car to get the rest of our things. That's when I saw him. The spider so big he could swallow me up in one bite. Ha! Ok maybe that is a bit of an exaggeration, but he really was as big as the palm of my hand and I am not kidding about that one. So first step, I did what any logical  person would do, I screamed for Ashlynn to bring me my phone.


Once I had taken his picture, from about 20 feet back, I got a can of spider killer spray that I remembered I bought this summer after my vicious run in with a black widow.  I stood as far back as I thought I could stand and started spraying the spider. Well this only pissed the spider off. He started running closer and closer to me with white spray all over him. I kept spraying and spraying. He kept running and running. Finally, after I had emptied the entire can of spider spray onto him, did he stop. However, it quickly became obvious that he only stopped because he had a ton of heavy liquid on him and not because the spray had killed him. He started shaking the spray off. Well crap! I am going to have to squish him. I grab Marshal's flip flop and inched towards him. He is still shaking around like crazy, working as quickly as he can to remove the spray. I raise the flip flop high in the air, close my eyes, and WHAP bring the flip flop down on top of the spider as hard as I could. Spider parts went flying everywhere, but I think I killed him. Ha!

Moral of the story-spider spray doesn't actually kill spiders. Did you already know this? Why in the world did someone not tell me this before? I did go back and read the can. Apparently it will prevent spiders from returning for up to 12 weeks. That is fabulous news! I figure 12 weeks, times the entire can, equals at least six months of no spiders visiting that one square inch of the garage. Ha!

Thank goodness after my spider fighting came to an end I went inside to wash my hands and found a love note from my hubs stuck to my mirror. Thanks Marshal. Maybe next time I will find the note first, take it out to the spider, show him I am loved and he will run back to his spider home in the woods somewhere and live happily ever after.

Comments

Popular Posts