Shape

Recently we completed this study at church called S.H.A.P.E. The study was really about using the gifts God gave you. I really didn't get into the study and really didn't enjoy it too much. However, there was one section that talked about how your experiences in life shape you. I have always known that to be true, but it really helped me put in perspective and understand something I have been wanting to blog about for quite some time.

As you all know by now, my dad is currently in the middle of a lawsuit with the City of Rogers. You can read in the newspapers and court documents every last detail about the lawsuit. What you can't read is the personal effect this has had on him, my mom and me. While the effects have been numerous there is one thing that has stuck out to me more than anything else. One thing that I would have never imagined as an effect, one thing that hits me at the very core, one thing that I know has and will affect me for the rest of my life. Friendships.

While I could tell you countless stories of friends that have sat right next to my dad and ignored him even though last winter he was in their drive way helping cut down a tree knocked over from the ice. Or friends that he has helped financially that still have yet to find the time to call and check on him. Or friends that have stabbed him in the back and been ugly to him right to his face. I am actually going to focus on those friends that have stepped up in ways I never could have imagined.

My dad has some friends that have never stopped calling. They have been there to listen and to support in any possible way. Friends that have busy lives and families of their own, but have not once used the busy excuse to not be there when we needed them. They have loved,they have, they have filled our hearts with joy and worked hard at erasing some of the hurt. I could spend my lifetime trying to thank them for their friendship to my parents and it would never be enough.

While I could continue on and on I want to get to the point of how this experience has shaped me. One year ago today if you asked me to list my parents friends I could have rattled off 25 names in a flash. Today if you asked me to name my parents friends I could name 5. The difference is, those five are the ones that have shown me what friendship is truly all about. They have taught me what it means to be a real friend.

This may sound harsh and you may not like it, but I am done trying to make people happy. I am done investing my time in causal in the moment relationships. I want to spend my time honestly and earnestly being a friend. I want to love my friends unconditionally and I want to be loved unconditionally back. Time is a precious precious gift to all of us. I plan to spend mine wisely creating meaningful relationships that will last a lifetime; friendships I can count on at my worst and have fun with during my best.

And just while I am on my lecture roll-if you haven't done it recently take a minute and think about the things that shape you. The people and the experiences that make you who you are. It really is kind of fun to see who you are now and where you come from through your lifetime of experiences.

The end-jumping down from my pedestal now. Although the view from up here is very pretty and I know y'all love it when I share...ha!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

  1. I love you! You know I totally understand. You also know that somedays we just don't have our shoes on and can't go outside! LOL!!!

    I completely agree with trying to make people happy.I.am.done! It is not harsh. From my perspective some give and many many take and take! You will not ever get rid of me...don't try! The end makes me think of crazy little super guy from Sesame Street. (Please tell me you know what I am talking about?!) I am cracking up at myself!
    Nite!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts