Half Way

I am not sure exactly why, but I have never really gotten in to the whole giving up something for Lent thing. I understand the purpose and believe it is truly a good thing to do, yet I just haven't typically taken part in the tradition.

In fact last year was my first year to ever really give up something for Lent. I gave up Facebook. Now if I were completely honest, I would tell you that was more out of selfish reasons and a personal need to have a break from fb than anything else. I did,none the less, decide that every time I was tempted to look at fb I would stop and pray for the first person that came to my mind. It worked out. I enjoyed my fb break and I did do a lot more random praying than typical for me, which I felt resulted in some good.

This year,as we are about half way through the season of Lent, I thought I would share what I choose to give up. Well actually I didn't really give up anything as much as I choose to take something on. I honestly feel pretty guilty about how effortless my church made this choice for me. They did the work and all I had to do was make the commitment. Everyday during the season of Lent I have committed to pray for a person with malaria. It was really been heart filling for me and has kind of turned in to a special time for Jaxton and I.


The first Sunday in Lent they had all of these jars sitting out on a table. Each jar had a name in it and a little card asking you to put $1 a day in to the jar to go towards prevention, education, and treatment of malaria. I let Jaxton pick out a jar and he got us both a bracelet to wear ( he of course lost his before the day was even over). Every night we say our prayers and include Sanford and others with malaria. It is the sweetest thing I have ever heard; listening to my sweet little boy repeating our prayer with me.


While I am certainly glad to give and I know my prayers are being heard I feel like I am the one that has been blessed.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts