Becoming A Dance Mom

Ok I will admit it. I've kind of always wanted to do this. When I was in the fourth grade my parents decided I couldn't be in dance anymore. I loved dance, but unfortunately I didn't love school. I was one of those kids that fell through the cracks. My grades in elementary school were terrible. It wasn't that I wasn't trying, I was. Regardless of my best efforts though I simply didn't get it. My parents, with the best of intentions, took me out of all extra curricular activities to allow me to spend my time improving my grades. I've missed being in dance every since.

Ashlynn is my second chance. Unlike me, school has been a breeze for my smarty pants. She is super smart ( not just momma talking, she is reading on a 5th grade reading level-whoop whoop!) Anyway, I wanted to be very careful not to push her in to anything just because I wanted it. She really wasn't all that crazy about dance. She has been in dance for four years, but this summer decided to try out for company. She tried out and made it. It is amazing to me what a difference being on company makes. All That Dance does an awesome job of creating a family like feeling for the company girls. Ashlynn absolutely loves dance now. We are at the studio three nights a week and she truly enjoys being their.

This weekend was our very first competition. I was kind of a nervous mess about it. We have been getting daily emails for weeks now telling us about make up requirements, jewelry, tanning, extra rehearsals, etc. Yikes I felt overwhelmed keeping up with it all. Last week I was in the studio standing there ease dropping on all if these moms conversations about competition. I was just trying to understand it all and make sure I knew what was going on. This mom looked over at me and said " honey is this your first year?" I don't know if my face just had that panicked look or what, but next thing I know she has grabbed me, smushed me into her chest, hugging me, while rubbing my back. I felt like that was the moment I had finally arrived. Ha! In all seriousness the moms have been very sweet and welcoming to both Ashlynn and I. Dance mom friends. Yay!

Those dance mom friends become very helpful on competition days. After watching the YouTube videos on how Ashlynn's hair had to be fixed and make up how to videos it was comforting to know if I screwed up I had mom friends standing by to help.

Ashlynn and I headed out at 7:00 this morning. That was painful for me on a Saturday.


We got to the dressing room and I got the thumbs up for fixing her bun correctly.


Talk about a proud momma moment. Ha! After the talking to we all got at the on stage rehearsal I was a little afraid I was going to make a big mess out of her bun. ( this is the not acceptable bun from rehearsal -just FYI)


Her big sis ,Ashlea, came early to help finish Ashlynn's eye makeup. Now before you start thinking I am just a makeup mom loser, it took three people to get "miss I can't keep my eyes still" make up finished.





So before I get too carried away I have to note the things I learned in the dressing room. Were you aware that they make a bag that has a pop up clothes rack in it? I mean some of these moms have some serious equipment.
Our stuff....


And then one example of their stuff...


Ok anyway I have a little ways to go before I get that fancy.

Ashlynn's first dance was her small group performance.





They did a wonderful job and got a gold ranking. I was very proud of them. Ashlynn's teacher even said that this was the best she has seen Ashlynn dance yet.

After her dance we took a little break to go grab a late breakfast with Nonnie and GeGe.





We had a little time to hang out and watch some of the other performances before the first awards ceremony.


Then it was time to get ready for dance number two.





Big Sis Ashlea ( she is such a doll!)


Showing daddy how tough Wonder Woman can be.


I loved this little superhero dance. They did an amazing job. The group won first place for this dance and earned high gold. Yay! Yay! All That Dance also won the spirit award for this grouping.








Ashlynn was so proud of her new pins and can't wait to get her other pins at the studio this week.

I loved spending the day with her. There wasn't a single moment when the two of us weren't grinning. While you may not catch me sporting this anytime soon....


I am proud to be an official dance mom.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts