Got Me a Bear

So here's the deal, sometimes in life you do things, that you just never ever live down. Mine happened when I was eightish.

My aunt Arene and Uncle Ed used to live in Pennsylvania. Every summer they came down and went camping at Lake Atkins. We had some good family friends that owned some private campgrounds right on the lake. There was a dock, a screened in eating room and my parents and grandparents bought a camper that stayed parked there.

So anyway, it was summer, my mom and dad worked, but sometimes I got lucky enough to spend the day at the lake with my aunt and uncle. I say lucky, because the first $100 I ever earned was digging up worms for my uncle to fish with.

This particular day, my aunt decided to take me fishing. There was this cove off the other side of the campgrounds that my grandmother always had great luck catching fish at. It was called the snake pit.

Now, why I decided to trust my aunt to take me fishing at a place called the snake pit in the first place is beyond me. But off we went. It was a little bit of a walk. First you had to go through the field, then you curved back into the woods, followed this barely there path and ended up back at the waterfront.

This particular day we start walking, we make it into the field and I freeze. My heart starts thumping hard in my chest and I don't know wether to scream, cry, or run. There in the middle of the field is a bear. I can't think. I can't move. I can hardly talk. The only thing I manage to say is "go get the gun".

My aunt just stands there. What is wrong with this woman? Is she just frozen like I am? So I repeat it, "Go get the gun.". This time see hears me, but apparently she is still in shock because she replies with, "why ?". Ok, lady do you not see that bear? So this time I scream at her. " Just go get the gun!" I mean I am only a little girl, but if I have to shoot this thing myself I will. Oh my mercy, she is still standing there. I guess I am just going to die. I mean the bear hasn't moved a single muscle, but if I have to keep going over this gun thing, he is going to eventually hear me and swallow me whole.

I finally manage to mumble the word bear to her. Geez, having to spell this out is just ridiculous. Now, I don't remember if she actually laughed out loud or not. Perhaps she was loving and kind enough to hold it in, but she leans down and explains to me that my big, ferocious, going to attack me at any minute, bear, is simply a stump that someone had recently burned. Yep, a big black wooden stump.

Well,I can't tell you how many times that darn bear has come back to haunt me. Me and my bear story have been the brunt of many a joke. My dad has since built a cabin on Lake Atkins and even decorate my bathroom in bears.

The best though, is that recently my sweet daddy caught that bear for me.


And now he will forever be mine.

Hey, at least now you know why I am an inside kind of girl.

Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

Comments

Popular Posts